The Commission leads the talks and updates EU member countries and the European Parliament regularly throughout the negotiations.
- A chief EU negotiator leads negotiating teams with experts on all the relevant topics.
- They regularly meet negotiators from the partner country or region in formal negotiation rounds.
- These rounds usually last around a week and alternate between Brussels and the other party's country.
- A negotiation round may cover all the topics under negotiation or just a few.
- Chief negotiators are in regular contact and may meet outside formal negotiation rounds.
- At key moments in the talks, the trade minister of the country concerned and the EU trade commissioner will meet.